skip to main content
Make 8 servings
- Place the sugar into a thick saucepan and stir in low heat until the sugar syrup melted and golden brown in color. Remove immediately from heat and pour the syrup into 9 inch round baking pan and let it harden.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Mix filled sweetened condensed milk and filled evaporated milk with eggs and water, add vanilla extract (optional) until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan. Set the baking pan in a larger rectangular pan. Place both of these into the oven (350 °F).
- Pour hot water into the larger pan to within ½ inch of the top of the baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the flan.
- Remove from the oven and the water bath, let cool. Refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, run a knife around the edge of the flan and invert the flan onto a serving platter or plate. The caramel sauce will cover the flan. The flan can be prepared a day before seving. It will absorb the flavor of the caramel sauce.