skip to main content
Key Lime Pie
Make 9 servings
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (14 ounce) can of filled sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 or 3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- In medium bowl, beat egg yolks on low speed; gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk and lime juice until smooth. Note: For a lighter filling, fold 1 stiffly beaten egg white into filling mixture.
- Stir in food coloring (optional).
- Pour mixture into pie crust.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 °F.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar on medium speed, 1 tablespoon at a time; beat 4 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved and stiff glossy peaks form.
- Immediately spread meringue over hot pie, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent meringue from shrinking.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool 1 hour.
- Chill at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.